By Ryan Yousefi
With COVID-19 cases spiking all around the state, Tamarac Talk continues providing updates from the Florida Department of Health.
On January 3, there were 104,014 COVID-19 tests conducted in Florida. Out of those, 15,291 returned positive, and 11,215 were new cases. An alarming 14.70-percent of tests administered came back positive, far surpassing the state’s under five percent goal.
However, the reported data from the last two days is a welcome decline from a record 28,254 tests that came back positive on December 31, with 21,015 of those being first-time positives.
There were 3,620 positive COVID-19 cases in the City of Tamarac — an increase of 65 positive cases since we last updated readers on January 1.
Statewide in Florida, there have been 1,376,392 positive COVID-19 cases to date. Florida is one of only a handful of states in the U.S. to have recorded over 1 million COVID-19 cases, with only California and Texas registering the most cases in the country.
The average age to contract COVID-19 in Broward County on January 3 was 41-years-old, a slight uptick compared to previous days. For weeks, the average age of a person contracting COVID-19 in Florida has hovered at or around 40-years-old.
Since the pandemic began, there have been 22,090 deaths to date in Florida due to COVID-19 and a total of 63,505 patients hospitalized due to the virus.
Below are cases sorted by Broward County cities:
Fort Lauderdale 31,254
Pompano Beach 14,343
Coral Springs 7,546
Deerfield Beach 4,078
Coconut Creek 3,273
Pembroke Pines 2,542
North Lauderdale 2,284
Oakland Park 1,934
Cooper City 1,458
Wilton Manors 640
Lauderdale Lakes 595
Southwest Ranches 472
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- News2021.04.21Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie Arrested For Perjury
- News2021.04.17Tamarac Man Who Threatened Neighbor With a BB Gun Arrested For Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- News2021.03.26Tamarac COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 26
- News2021.03.24Tamarac COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 24