By: Sharon Aron Baron
Friday was declared Tamarac Elementary School Day in honor of it being their 40th Anniversary.
This was Tamarac’s first school and was opened in the fall of 1974, James H. Henschel was its first principal and parents from the Heathgate neighborhood vigorously campaigned for a city school so their children would not have to be bussed long distances to other county schools.
The school’s motto was “Show me what you can become. There’s a dream for everyone.”
The entire school selected items to be buried in a time capsule including a hearing aid from the deaf and hard of hearing students, pennies, a cell phone, and many cards written by students. Principal Roberta Ray read a book to the students and placed it in the time capsule to be opened at the 50th anniversary in 2024
Afterwards they held a ballon release with green balloons.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2020.11.2910 Auto Burglaries Reported in Tamarac in this Week’s Crime Update
- News2020.11.28Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste December 5
- News2020.11.28Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.25Tamarac History: Former U.S. Congressman Once Made his Home in the Woodlands Country Club