By Selene Raj
In a message to residents, the Tamarac city commission discussed the county-wide mask order as well as other closures.
The latest order from Broward County went into effect on July 2. It requires everyone to wear facial coverings when in public spaces outside the boundaries of their home if social distancing of at least six feet cannot be consistently maintained—inside and outdoors.
This includes shared residential areas, such as in an elevator, lobby, stairwell, or parking lot of an apartment complex.
While previous orders have used language such as “shall” or “encouraged,” the language in this order is more precisely a mandate—it says that residents “must” wear the facial coverings.
Exceptions apply to children under two years of age, children at licensed childcare facilities, and people with a disability or medical condition that prevents them from wearing a facial covering.
City offices will be also be closed on July 3, in observance of Independence Day, and city parks will be closed only on July 4 to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
The newest order also restricts onsite dining at food establishments, which is now prohibited between 12:01 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. Takeout and pickup are still allowed during those times. The full order can be read here.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- NewsDecember 6, 2021Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- NewsNovember 23, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsAugust 25, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsMarch 16, 2021Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover