From: Mayor Michelle J. Gomez
Welcome to February, a month where we pay tribute to America’s history by celebrating our nation’s presidents and recognizing the rich history and amazing contributions of African-Americans, which we will highlight all month on the City’s social media platforms.
I’m thrilled to resume the Move with the Mayor series this month on Saturday, February 12. Mark will be leading us in a free Tai Chi class starting at 10:30 a.m. at Mainlands Park, 4500 Monterey Drive. Also, be sure to also mark your calendar for next month’s Body Sculpting class on Saturday, March 12. The class begins at 10:30 a.m. and will take place at Water’s Edge Park, 7508 NW 61st Street.
February also marks the beginning of tax season. For those who qualify, the City of Tamarac is offering free tax return preparation at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard, on the following days and times:
- Tuesdays: 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays & Fridays: 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Saturdays: 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Tax help is also available at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 N. University Drive, on the following days and times:
- Tuesdays: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturdays: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Free tax prep will be offered until April 15, 2022, and is by appointment only. For more information, please call (954) 597-3642.
Free Broward College courses are available beginning this month to Tamarac residents through the Broward Up program. This month’s free courses include:
- Social Media Marketing with Analytics
- Project Management Introduction
- Microsoft Excel with Data Analysis
- Quickbooks with Accounting Principles
To view the application and the list of available classes, please visit Tamarac.me/BCcourses.
The City of Tamarac will host its 2022 Black History Month Celebration later this month on Saturday, February 26th at Caporella Park, 5200 Prospect Road. The event is from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., and features live poetry, jazz, and dance performances as well as wonderful art exhibits and delicious food.
Shuttles will be available from Christian Life Center, 2699 W. Commercial Boulevard, due to limited parking. For more details, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at (954) 597-3674 or visit www.tamarac.org/specialevents.
Friendly reminder to mark your calendar for this month’s BSO Operation Medicine Cabinet/Shred-A-Thon in Tamarac on Saturday, February 26. The event is from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at King’s Point, 7629 Nob Hill Road. For more information, please visit www.sheriff.org.
- Know a teen between the ages of 16-18 interested in a summer job? Then be sure to let them know that CareerSource Broward is offering a Summer Youth Employment Program for local youth interested in high-quality working opportunities this summer. Those selected could qualify for clerical work, assistant or aide roles with government agencies, libraries, community organizations, for-profits, nonprofits, and more. To apply or get more information, please visit careersourcebroward.com or call (954) 677-5555.
- The month of February signals the start of National Cancer Prevention Month and American Heart Month. As a breast cancer survivor, I can attest that health is wealth. I encourage you to take care of your body and reach out to your health care provider to monitor and discuss ways to improve your health. To learn more about cancer prevention, please visit the American Association for Cancer Research website at cancerprogressreport.aacr.org. Check out ways you can help prevent heart disease at cdc.gov/heartdisease.
- Want to make a positive impact on people’s lives? Please consider donating blood to help increase reserves at local health facilities, especially to help people undergoing cancer treatments, in accidents, or during surgery. To find a location near you, please visit aabb.org or oneblood.org. I am currently working with OneBlood to set up a community blood drive within the next couple of months, stay tuned!
- The Federal Government recently announced free COVID-19 tests available to every American household. Each home can order four FREE at-home tests by visiting CovidTests.gov.
This Valentine’s Day marks the 4th anniversary of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Let us make a commitment to spread love and kindness not just this month, but each and every day.
I am happy to celebrate Black History Month, Chinese New Year, Lunar New Year, Valentine’s Day, and Presidents’ Day!
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.