By Sharon Aron Baron
As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek (TBTST) is set to host its Annual PINK Shabbat on Saturday, October 21, 2023, at 9:30 a.m.
Sponsored by TBTST Sisterhood, the event seeks to foster awareness, education, and community support around breast and ovarian cancer.
TBTST has invited Deborah Litwak, Florida Program Coordinator for Sharsheret, as the guest speaker. Sharsheret, which means “chain” in Hebrew, is the only national organization uniquely dedicated to aiding Jewish women and families of all backgrounds affected by breast and ovarian cancer—both those diagnosed and those at high risk.
Breast cancer is an affliction that knows no bounds, impacting women and even men globally. However, women of Ashkenazi Jewish descent face a unique challenge. While everyone carries the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, a mutation in these genes elevates one’s risk of developing breast cancer at a younger age.
Alarmingly, 1 in 40 Ashkenazi Jewish women harbors a BRCA gene mutation. This places them at a heightened risk for breast, ovarian, and other types of cancers.
The upcoming PINK Shabbat aims to shed light on these risks, offering attendees the chance to educate themselves on preventative measures and available support.
In solidarity, attendees are encouraged to don pink attire for the occasion. After the enlightening lecture, all are invited to stay for Kiddush.
For more information, contact Helene Herman, TBTST Marketing Co-Chair, at Helene.firstname.lastname@example.org.
TBTST is located at 5700 NW 94th Avenue in Tamarac.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Broward County Schools Opens 2024/25 School Choice Options
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Talk Media Named 2023 Finalist by the Florida Press Club
- NewsNovember 16, 2023Tamarac Launches Campaign to Become Autism Friendly, Enhancing Inclusivity
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Dog Rescued from Tamarac Dumpster Now Safe with Foster Family