By: Sharon Aron Baron
Over the years, Tidan Plaza has become Tamarac’s own ghost town after it lost its biggest anchor and more businesses closed or moved away. With thousands of cars passing this location each day, this shopping center should have been a prime spot for any national company to open their doors.
Once known as “Big Lots Plaza” for its largest anchor store, the plaza, which also includes the Denny’s Restaurant, is tucked away on the Northeast corner of University and Commercial Boulevard.
Built in 1976, it was formerly owned by Tidan Plaza Limited until RSF MC Tamarac, an affiliate of Dallas-based RSF Partner, won a foreclosure judgement against it in 2013 according to the South Florida Business Journal.
“We’ve been working with the city for six months or more and changing the colors and improving the facade,” said Attorney Scott Backman who represents the owners.
The plaza will also have the new name: Shoppes on University.
Other improvements including resurfacing and striping the parking lot and reconfiguring the parking aisles along University, which were only one way. A new monument sign will be added that will be closer to University Drive, as well as higher for visibility.
The first major tenant is Planet Fitness which has over 800 clubs around the country. They’re currently in negotiations with others as well, although Backman couldn’t disclose who.
At this time, there is no estimated date of completion. and I’ll keep you posted if I hear of any new stores in this plaza.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale
- News2023.03.18Adopt These Adorable Pets: Onyx and Toes Are Looking for Their Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County