By Kevin Deutsch
Broward Sheriff’s Office robbery detectives arrested an alleged armed robber Thursday in connection with an attack that left a woman screaming for help in Lauderdale Lakes.
Edwin Hankerson, Jr., 18, of Lauderhill, was arrested in Pompano Beach, according to BSO. He is charged with armed robbery with a firearm, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, resisting an officer without violence, and attempting to flee law enforcement, as well as traffic-related charges, records show.
He was being held at the Broward Main Jail Friday on a $26,225 bond.
“Through investigative methods, BSO robbery detectives were able to identify Hankerson as the suspect involved in this heinous crime, and a warrant for his arrest was issued,” BSO spokesperson Gerdy St. Louis reported.
Deputies said Hankerson assaulted and robbed the female victim at gunpoint July 8 in the 4000 block of Northwest 34th Street, fleeing the scene as her chilling screams were caught on surveillance video.
The victim had just parked her vehicle when Hankerson approached, deputies said. He asked the woman a question, to which she replied “no” as she continued walking.
Hankerson then grabbed her by the shoulder and struck her in the head with a heavy object, deputies said.
“When the victim turned to defend herself, she realized the object was a firearm pointed at her and began screaming,” St. Louis reported after the crime. “The victim managed to break free from the subject’s hold and ran.”
The robber fled with the victim’s purse, authorities responded, and the woman was treated on scene for her injuries, according to BSO.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.12.05Tamarac Crime Update: Stalker Called Woman 50 Times, Sent 500 Messages
- News2022.12.01Tamarac Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Officer During Jan. 6 Attack on Capitol
- News2022.11.30Traffic Homicide Detectives Probe Tamarac Crash that Killed Child
- News2022.11.27Tamarac Crime Update: USPS Mail Carrier Robbed at Gunpoint