By Ryan Yousefi
A man was charged with armed robbery after a homeowner detained him at gunpoint for breaking into his car.
On August 15, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene of a reported armed robbery in progress in which the victim held the suspect at gunpoint.
According to records, the victim witnessed on live surveillance video Ladarius Lewis, 21, of Tamarac, rummaging around in his vehicle. The victim quickly exited his residence and approached Lewis with his firearm drawn.
When the victim saw Lewis, he had a lighter from the vehicle. As the victim approached, Lewis tried to run, but the victim told him to stop.
The report indicates Lewis, worried he would be shot, complied and revealed that he was carrying a firearm in his right pocket. The victim allowed Lewis to remove the gun from his bag and toss it into a nearby bush.
As BSO deputies arrived, they found the suspect held at gunpoint by the victim. A subsequent search of the area led to the discovery of the discarded firearm in the bush that Lewis had in his possession at the time of the robbery.
After being read his rights, Lewis confessed to breaking into the victim’s vehicle and admitted possessing the firearm.
Lewis also admitted to investigators that he took pieces of mail from a nearby mailbox to acquire personal information. However, he refused to reveal what he would use the information for—in addition, he admitted to attempting to break into other vehicles in the same vicinity.
Lewis was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Dirty Dog’s Car Wash Opens with Grand Opening Celebration
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Lauderhill’s Mayor Thurston Hosts Move with the Mayor and Fitness Challenge
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Tamarac Man Attempts to Drown Woman in Community Pool
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023BSO North Lauderdale and Home Depot Team Up for ‘Building Bonds’ Children’s Workshop