By Agrippina Fadel
Tamarac is getting ready to erect the city’s first social justice wall and is asking for residents’ input.
The wall, designed through the public art initiative, will include portraits and quotes from social justice leaders, highlighting their contributions to the fight for equality in communities across the nation.
Discuss ideas for the wall, submit the names of the local, state, or national social justice leaders who inspire them, and talk to artist Michael Parker, designer of Tamarac’s social justice wall.
Students in Tamarac schools in grades 6 to 8 are encouraged to participate in the Youth Outreach Essay Contest. Essays should explain what the iconic social justice figures of past and present mean to the students. Entries can include individuals of any race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or era in American history.
Prizes for Essay Contest include a $100 gift card, a Samsung tablet with one year of free internet service, and public and social media recognition by the city. The winning essay will be read at a Tamarac City Commission meeting.
Meet artist Michael Parker at a community meeting on Wednesday, November 17, at 6 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center at 7501 N. University Drive.
Both resident input and essay contest entries must be submitted by Friday, December 3, to PublicArt@Tamarac.org.
Learn more about the Social Justice Wall and the Youth Essay Contest here.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2021.11.27Gospel Music and More will “Light the Night” at Tamarac’s Caporella Park
- News2021.11.22Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Kicks-off First Night of Chanukah with Glow in The Dark Party
- News2021.11.22Resident Calls City Commission Dysfunctional Says ‘Tamarac Deserves Better’
- News2021.11.2230 Spots Left for the 40th Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot