By Sharon Aron Baron
Several Broward County zip codes will benefit from a $30 million grant offering free educational opportunities, workforce training, and support.
Dispersed over five years, Broward College receives the funds from the U.S. Department of Education as part of its Promise Neighborhoods program. The funds will be used to support Broward UP, which offers services directly in neighborhoods in the following zip codes: 33309, 33311, 33313, 33319, 33023, and 33069.
The program serves neighborhoods with high concentrations of low-income individuals; or with multiple signs of distress, which may include high rates of poverty, childhood obesity, academic failure, and juvenile delinquency, adjudication, or incarceration.
It is a highly competitive grant, with more than 50 organizations applying for it and only seven recipients. This is the largest grant in the College’s history. Further, Broward College is the first grantee in Florida and the first community college in the nation ever to receive a Promise Neighborhoods grant.
Broward UP is the College’s innovative approach to increasing college access and attainment by providing workforce education in communities impacted by high unemployment and low education attainment rates.
“This grant from the Department of Education will materially expand the impact we are making in our Broward UP communities,” said Broward College President Gregory Adam Haile, J.D.
Authorized under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the Promise Neighborhoods program strives to significantly improve the academic and developmental outcomes of children living in the most distressed communities of the United States.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.09.22Just Between Friends Consignment Event Returns October 6-9 in Coral Springs
- News2022.09.15TICKET ALERT: Comedian Brian Regan Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- News2022.09.15TICKET ALERT: Comedian Kathleen Madigan Heads to Coral Springs for 2023 Tour
- News2022.09.13J.P. Taravella Drama Presents “Radium Girls” Based on a True Story