By Kevin Deutsch
Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives on Tuesday said they have cleared the person of interest seen in surveillance video at the front door of a burglarized Tamarac home after the man came forward and spoke with investigators.
“Detectives have determined he was not involved,” BSO spokesperson Miranda Grossman said in a written statement.
Detectives are still searching for the culprit in the Sept. 23 break-in, which happened just before 8:30 p.m. at a home in the 8000 block of Sanibel Drive. Video surveillance footage shows the burglar shattered a sliding glass door in the rear of the house and said, “Broward Sheriff’s Office. Is anyone home?” after stepping through the shattered door, according to BSO.
The burglar then searched the home and left with more than $1,000 worth of items.
Around the same time, the person of interest was seen carrying a clipboard and wearing a retractable lanyard as he knocked on the victim’s front door, according to BSO, but he had nothing to do with the crime.
The victim was not home at the time of the burglary.
While detectives believe the crime was an isolated incident, they encourage anyone approached by a BSO deputy to ask for their identification, look for the agency’s name on their uniform, or call the BSO non-emergency number 954-764-4357 to verify a deputy’s identity.
Anyone who can identify the person of interest or any information is asked to contact BSO Detective Wilmer Morales Tubens at 954-247-6014. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477 or online at browardcrimestoppers.org.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- News2022.01.17New Site for Monoclonal Antibody Treatments Opening at Markham Park
- News2022.01.15Tamarac Crime Update: Stolen Bible and Credit Card Fraud
- News2022.01.14Arsonist Arrested For Torching Police Car Outside Lauderhill Synagogue, Burning Veterans Memorial
- News2022.01.13Police Car Torched By Arsonist Outside Lauderhill Synagogue