By: Sharon Aron Baron
A special needs teacher lost her life while giving birth to her fourth child on Monday.
Suzanne Mazzola, 34, an ESE who worked with children with autism at Park Trails Elementary School passed away during surgery while giving birth to son Owen Gabriel, who was born healthy.
Suzanne and her husband Joe of nine years are from Tamarac and leave behind four children: Matteo 7, Ella 5, Luca 2 and newborn baby boy, Owen.
According to a fundraising website created in her honor by her aunt Janet Free, Suzanne was diagnosed with a condition called Placenta Percreta that occurs when the placenta penetrates through the entire uterine wall and attaches to another organ such as the bladder. The primary concern for Suzanne following child birth was hemorrhaging while a team of 15 doctors attempted to detach the placenta. It said that Suzanne was given the option to take the baby very early in the pregnancy, “but being the wonderful strong woman and mother that she was and understanding the personal risk, she chose to wait until 35 weeks when the baby would be strong enough to survive,” wrote Free. Owen was born at 6 pounds 2oz.
Suzanne’s love for children led her to become a special needs teacher for the Broward County Public School system. Her husband Joe helps run the family business Mazzola’s Italian Restaurant. Suzanne is also survived by her parents Ernest and Cynthia Roberts, Siblings; Kristine (Sergio) Rodriguez, Michael (Nancy) Roberts, Brian (Amy) Roberts, Elizabeth Roberts, Joshua Roberts, Eric Roberts, Sarah Roberts, Eddie Roberts, Jennifer Roberts, Erik Roberts and Jovanni Roberts, mother and father in law; Giuseppe and Margaret Mazzola, brother and sister in law; Marianne Mazzola and Anthony Mazzola; 19 nieces and nephews and many other loving family and friends.
Fred Hunter Funeral Home – Taft Street
This story has been updated.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.01.18Tamarac Crime and Arrest Update Through January 11
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.12Man Faces Murder Charges After Setting Girlfriend on Fire
- News2021.01.11Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution January 13