By Agrippina Fadel
The City of Tamarac celebrates Caribbean Heritage Month with a fun family event at Water’s Edge Park.
Since 2006, heritage month has been officially observed around the country and honors the achievements and contributions of Caribbean immigrants and their descendants living in the United States.
The original date in June was rained out, so the parks and recreation department are trying again for Saturday, July 30, from noon to 2 p.m.
The celebration includes food, games, a DJ, and a steel drum performance by Melo Groove Steel Orchestra.
With musicians representing Trinidad and Tobago, St. Kitts, U.S. Virgin Islands, Haiti, Grenada, and Japan, the Orchestra strives for musical excellence to expand the rich tradition of steel pan music in all genres.
Local to Tamarac, Melo Groove Steel Orchestra also operates as a music academy for children. It thrives in creating a safe, inclusive place for youth to enhance their artistic talent through commitment, integrity, and respect.
The vision of the National Caribbean American Heritage Month program is to promote the recognition of the contributions of Caribbean immigrants to the United States of America, from founding father Alexander Hamilton to modern-day politicians, artists, athletes, and activists.
Waters Edge Park is located at 7508 NW 61st Street.
Got News in Tamarac, North Lauderdale, and Lauderhill? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- News2023.03.21Woodlands Showdown: City Commission to Decide Golf Course’s Future Amid Community Debate
- News2023.03.21Ticket Alert: The Company Men Bring a Night of Hits to the Kings Point Palace
- News2023.03.21Sunday Matinee at Kings Point Palace: JayCee Driesen Sings Show Tunes and Classic Standards
- News2023.03.21Get Ready for Summer Fun: Camp Tamarac is Now Open for Resident Registration