By Agrippina Fadel
Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac celebrates Purim with a live mariachi band, a giant piñata, and an authentic Mexican buffet.
Purim is a Jewish festival celebrated in spring to commemorate the defeat of Haman’s plot to massacre the Jews, as recorded in the book of Esther. According to Rabbi Kopel Silberberg, it’s one of the year’s highlights for Jews and often celebrated with a theme and a costume party.
“This year, the theme is “Mexican fiesta”; we will have a margarita bar, game show, “create your own maracas” craft station for kids, and masquerade in Mexican attire or costumes of choice,” he said.
Rabbi Kopel added that the celebration is open to residents of all ages and is fun for the whole family. The party will start a 6 p.m. with a multimedia megillah reading – a beautiful story about the triumph of good over evil, followed by a Mexican buffet and entertainment at 6.30 p.m.
“We hope the community as a whole can get together in a display of joy and unity, have a good time and celebrate Purim despite our differences and everything that’s going on in the world,” he said.
The tickets are $25 for adults, $12 for children, and 60$ for the family. Purim celebration is held on Thursday, March 17, at Colony West Golf Club at 6850 NW 88th Ave. Outdoor and indoor seating is available.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Ticket Alert: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Tribute Show at the Palace
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo