By: Sharon Aron Baron
A date has been set for the special recall election in Tamarac. Circuit Court Judge Weinstein released a signed order specifying October 15, which would be between 30-60 days required by Florida Statute.
Atkins-Grad’s Attorney, Stuart Michelson had initially requested 60 days which is the maximum time allowed, as his client is in the appeals process. Weinstein may have taken his request into consideration scheduling the election 48 days from today.
If Atkins-Grad resigns before the recall election, the election will be canceled. The election will be held like any other municipal election, and residents in District Two can vote either by absentee ballot or at the polls.
They will have two choices on their ballot: Whether Patricia Atkins-Grad should be removed from office, or whether Patricia Atkins-Grad should not be removed from office.
In 2010, Atkins-Grad was charged with accepting illegal payments from father and son developers Bruce and Sean Chait to lease a BMW and pay for her election victory party in exchange for voting for their project. Although she was acquitted by a jury last December, residents felt that her “stupid” defense didn’t add up, and no longer wanted her to represent them, forming a legal recall effort to remove her from office.
The City Clerk announced last week that volunteers that were part of the recall effort were successful in obtaining enough signatures during two rounds of the recall process. During the final round in which 15 percent of District Two of Tamarac’s signatures were needed, they achieved 2,296 signatures, which were 421 more than the 1,875 required.
Atkins-Grad was absent from the City Commission Meeting this morning where city attorney Sam Goren made the announcement.
Order for the Special Recall Election of Patricia Atkins-Grad
Click to make larger
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.01.19Make-A-Wish Surprises Tamarac Teen with Exclusive Shopping Spree
- News2021.01.18Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Food Distribution on Tuesday
- News2021.01.18Tamarac Crime and Arrest Update Through January 11
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments