By Agrippina Fadel
The City of Tamarac received a $1 million grant from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) for the Sabal Palm Park Project.
The city commission accepted the Land and Water Conservation Fund grant at the August 24 meeting.
According to the city, the grant will contribute to the overall cost of the park’s development. While the elements to be included in the park project have not been finalized, the grant might be used for the shaded playground with a safety surface, multi-purpose rectangular athletic field, picnic facilities, multi-purpose pathway, parking, restroom, security lighting, and native landscaping.
“This level of funding from a source outside the city budget is a tremendous benefit towards reaching our goal of developing a quality park that will meet the needs of our residents,” said Greg Warner, Director of Tamarac’s Parks & Recreation.
The Sabal Palm Park project will develop an eight-acre parcel of land off Commercial Blvd, adjacent to the Florida Turnpike, into a park with a splash pad, picnic shelters, covered fitness area, playground, and sports field.
The park is part of the Eastside Feasibility Study, approved by the city leaders last September, and is included in Tamarac’s Capital Improvement Program for 2023.
Tamarac originally applied for the LWCF grant in the 2020/2021 cycle and was not selected for funding but was told that the National Park Service would allow some cities to roll over their applications for the following year.
City staff learned the Sabal Palm Project received the grant in May 2022.
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Ticket Alert: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Tribute Show at the Palace
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo