By Sharon Aron Baron
A Coral Springs Resident has just died serving his fourth deployment to Afghanistan, according to the Defense Department.
Special Forces soldier and Warrant Officer Joseph L. Schiro, 27, from the Shadow Wood area of Coral Springs, died along with Staff Sgt. Justin C. Marquez, 25, of Aberdeen, North Carolina, was shot while on patrol in the Chak district of Wardak province. They were both assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group’s 1st Special Forces Battalion.
Shiro was on his fourth deployment to Afghanistan. He also served in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne Division’s 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in 2006.
Shiro’s military awards and decorations include two Bronze Star Medals, two Army Commendation Medals, two Army Achievement Medals, two Army Good Conduct Medals, the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three Campaign Stars, the Iraq Campaign Medal with two Campaign Stars, the Army Service Ribbon, the NATO Medal, the Parachutist Badge, the Combat Infantryman Badge, and the Special Forces Tab.
He is survived by his wife Diana, their three children, and his parents.
Marquez was on his first overseas deployment. His military awards and decorations include the Army Achievement Medal, the Army Good Conduct Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terror Medal, the Parachutist Badge, and the Special Forces Tab.
He is survived by his father, mother, and brother.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.06.08Celebrating Excellence: Meet Our Local Valedictorians and Salutatorians for 2023
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County