By: Sharon Aron Baron
It was inevitable that thunderstorms would hit South Florida on Labor Day, but that didn’t stop the die-hard Democrats who trudged to the Annual Picnic in the pouring rain.
Many of them knew the routine: bring jackets and umbrellas, and wait it out under the pavilion at the Pompano Beach Community Park.
After all, this seemed to be keeping with the tradition of the 15th Annual Labor Day Picnic hosted by the North Broward Democratic Club including 22 other clubs around South Florida.
“Despite the rain, I am proud of the board of the North Broward Democratic Club along with the sponsoring clubs, elected officials and candidates for making the 15th Annual Labor Day Picnic another great success,” said organizer and club president Joanne Goodwin.
Many elected officials were celebrating their new wins after the August 30 elections including Nan Rich who won her seat on the Broward County Commission representing parts of Tamarac, Lauderhill, Sunrise, Plantation Davie and Weston. Rich spoke about her years of knowing Hillary Clinton and how she will use the next few months to help Democrats win in South Florida.
Mitch Ceasar, who lost his bid in the race for Broward Clerk, rejoined the party to finish his term as Chair until December. He told the crowd he didn’t want to look back, but to concentrate on November’s elections.
Some of this year’s attendees included: Broward County Mayor Marty Kiar; Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel; Broward State Attorney Mike Satz; School Board Member-at-large Robin Bartleman; School Board Member Nora Rupert; Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes; State Senator Perry Thurston; Broward County Commissioner-elect Nan Rich; State Representative Gwyn Clarke-Reed; State Representative Hazelle Rogers; State Representative Patrica Hawkins Williams; State Representative Richard Stark; Deerfield Beach Commissioner Richard Rosenzweig; Fort Lauderdale Vice Mayor Dean Trantalis; Pompano Beach Mayor Lamar Fisher; Pompano Beach Commissioner Barry Dockswell; Pompano Beach City Commissioner Barry Moss; Oakland Park Mayor Tim Longeran; Lauderdale by the Sea Vice Mayor Mark Brown; Wilton Manors Commissioner Julie Carson; Amercanex on Legalizing Marijuana, Elaine Geller; Chair of the Broward Democratic Party Mitch Ceasar, Acting Chair Broward Democratic Party 1st Vice Chair Cynthia Busch; Broward County Democratic State Committeeman Ken Evans; and Broward State Committeewoman Maggie Davidson.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.06.08Celebrating Excellence: Meet Our Local Valedictorians and Salutatorians for 2023
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County