By Ryan Yousefi
At a press conference on Wednesday, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccination could be lowered to 55 by the end of the month.
On Monday, DeSantis also dropped the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility age to 60
He said the demand for the COVID-19 vaccine from Floridians over 65 has decreased, signaling a need for a gradual progression to making it available to younger age groups.
Data released by the Florida Department of Health on March 17 reports 101,330 COVID-19 tests conducted. Out of those, 7,258 came back positive. Of those, 4,727 were first-time positives.
There were 5,460 total positive COVID-19 cases in Tamarac — an increase of 38 positive cases since March 15.
Statewide, there are 1,989,024 positive Covid-19 cases to date. The average age to contract the virus in Broward County on March 16 was 38-years-old. For months, the average Floridian to test positive has hovered between 39 and 42-years-old.
Since the pandemic began, 82,786 Floridians have been hospitalized due to complications of COVID-19, and 32,504 have died. Of the total deaths, 2,569 were from Broward County.
As of March 17, 6,769,639 or 21.06 percent of Floridians have received at least one vaccination dose. Out of these, 11.80-percent are now fully vaccinated.
Broward County has a population of 1.9 million residents as of 2019, and as of March 17, 593,367 doses of the vaccine have been administered, with 208,837 people now fully vaccinated.
Broward County Total Cases
Fort Lauderdale 43,512
Pompano Beach 19,550
Coral Springs 11,698
Deerfield Beach 5,913
Coconut Creek 4,985
Pembroke Pines 3,912
North Lauderdale 3,343
Oakland Park 2,725
Cooper City 2,227
Wilton Manors 964
Lauderdale Lakes 870
Southwest Ranches 694
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- News2021.04.21Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie Arrested For Perjury
- News2021.04.17Tamarac Man Who Threatened Neighbor With a BB Gun Arrested For Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- News2021.03.26Tamarac COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 26
- News2021.03.24Tamarac COVID-19 and Vaccine Update for March 24