By: Sharon Aron Baron
Thanks to one community association that heard our proposal back in 2015, a flag drop-off box has been located in the city for a patriotic place to dispose of damaged or tattered flags for retirement.
The American Flag Retirement Box, located at Tamarac Veterans’ Park, says, “We gladly accept your worn flags to be properly retired with honor and respect,” all started with our presentation at a city commission meeting.
As an owner of a flagpole, along with a shelf full of used American Flags, I drove to Coral Springs to drop them off for proper retirement at the flag box there.
I presented the idea of a flag drop-off box to the Tamarac City Commission with images and pricing information like the one in Coral Springs. I knew that with all our Veterans, it would go over well.
The U.S. Flag code states that “the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” So when a flag is torn and tattered beyond repair, it’s time for it to be retired.
Although the city commission never responded to the presentation, the Woodmont homeowner’s association president did.
Lee Viverette, along with other members of the Woodmont Community Association (WCA), thought it was a good idea, and in turn, voted to fund the flag box as their contribution to the community. Viverette, along with Parks and Recreation Director Greg Warner, were invited to the Tamarac Veterans Affairs Committee meeting, where they discussed the flag box and eventually placed it in the park.
Each time the mailbox becomes full of tattered flags, the Parks and Recreation Department takes them to the Veterans Coalition, where they are properly retired.
Tamarac Veterans’ Park is located at 7825 Southgate Blvd. Tamarac, FL 33321.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.05.31Temple Beth Torah Sha’aray Tzedek Holds Shabbat Services in Spanish, Hebrew and English
- News2023.05.27Planet Fitness Launches High School Summer Pass Program to Combat Teen Obesity and Boost Mental Health
- News2023.05.26Joint Tactical Training Exercise to Commence in Broward County
- News2023.05.24Meet Gretel and Sissy, 2 Sweethearts Searching for Forever Homes