By Kevin Deutsch
Detectives are searching for a “porch pirate” caught on camera stealing and loading stolen items into a U-Haul van in North Lauderdale.
The theft occurred shortly after 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 16, near the 6800 block of Doral Street in North Lauderdale, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
Surveillance video of the crime showed a man driving a U-Haul truck and stopping near a victim’s home. The driver exited the van wearing an army green jacket, white shirt, and dark-colored pants, then ran toward the victim’s porch, according to BSO.
At the home, a Ring camera recorded footage of the man collecting the victim’s delivered boxes and running back toward the truck, authorities said. The man is then seen placing the items in the back of the van and leaving the scene.
Detectives with Broward Sheriff’s Office North Lauderdale District are investigating the case. They ask anyone with information about the thief’s identity or whereabouts to contact BSO North Lauderdale District Detective Pedro Almodovar at 954-722-5803 or to submit a tip through the SaferWatch app.
Tipsters who wish to remain anonymous can call Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477), submit a tip online at browardcrimestoppers.org, or dial **TIPS (8477) from any cellphone in the U.S.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsFebruary 17, 2024Bolton Says He Won’t Accept Benefits From Tamarac’s Shaker Village Deal
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Detectives Arrest Suspect in Fire That Killed Tamarac Woman
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024Tamarac Rejects Land Sale to Developer for Village Project
- NewsFebruary 13, 2024BSO Makes 17 Arrests After String of Tamarac Car Thefts