By: Sharon Aron Baron
A common distraction technique used to separate elderly victims from their jewelry has returned to Tamarac.
On April 30, just after 11:30 a.m. distraction thieves targeted an 87-year-old victim in an elaborate con to get their hands on her jewelry.
It began after the victim noticed a woman in her yard near the 7100 block of Canella Court of Lake Colony, so she ventured out to inquire. The unidentified woman said she worked for the city of Tamarac and was measuring the embankment by the lake so the city could install a wall.
During the conversation, an unidentified man appeared in the yard. The man said he was a city worker as well and was spraying trees in the victim’s yard. When the victim reached down toward a tree, the man sprayed her hand with what he said was a poisonous chemical.
The thieves told the victim to go inside immediately and wash her hands. The man followed her into her kitchen to “help”. He told her to remove both her rings. The victim was hesitant to comply and worried about removing her wedding ring. The suspect insisted and forced the rings from her fingers. The victim yelled out in pain, but the thief would not stop.
While the conman worked on getting the victim’s rings, his partner rummaged through the rest of the house.
Once the ruse had played out, the thief headed back out to the yard. The victim soon followed but found both the thieves were long gone, as were both her rings, a pair of gold earrings and a pair of diamond earrings.
The male is described as approximately 50 years old, about 5 foot 9 inches tall and weighing about 180 pounds, with gray hair and a scruffy gray beard. The female is also about 50 years old. The victim described her as having brown curly hair, being about 5 foot 6 inches tall and weighing about 140 pounds.
Broward Sheriff’s Office Robbery Unit detectives have released a sketch of one of the thieves and urging witnesses, as well as other possible victims, to come forward. Anyone with information is asked to contact BSO Robbery Detective Mark Copley at 954-321-4238. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org. Anonymous tips that lead to an arrest are eligible for a reward of up to $3,000.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- Events2021.09.24BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet in North Lauderdale
- News2021.09.23Joseph Britner Joins University Hospital and Medical Center as New Chief Operating Officer
- News2021.09.22Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Welcomes 2 New Businesses to Town
- News2021.09.21Tamarac Resident Warns Neighbors After Coyote Sighting