By Sharon Aron Baron
Family members of Marty Rubinstein are asking friends to keep the Former Broward County School Board Member and columnist in their thoughts and prayers.
Rubinstein is currently in ICU with congestive heart failure and Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. He has received chemotherapy for his cancer; however, he is not reacting well. Rubinstein announced a month ago that he has diabetes as well.
Dad is currently on a ventilator to assist with his breathing and oxygen levels. He is fighting very hard to make it through this. Right now he’s fighting a couple of infections, so we ask that there be no visitors until further notice to minimize exposure to more bacteria. Any and all prayers are appreciated – Marty’s daughter Amanda Rubinstein
Rubinstein served as District 6 School Board Member from 2002 – 2006.
“I was a member of the Broward County School Board at least until I had the audacity to dare to fire Superintendent Frank Till. Call it courage instead because I knew what the likely outcome would be.” Said Rubinstein.
Not willing to retire, he created a local blog called Watching Sunrise in 2009, then Watching Tamarac, which covered their politics with a lot of opinions mixed in.
“The idea of covering cities was alluring, to say the least, but registering a domain name for every Broward city was just out of the reach of sanity. That’s the moment that the idea of Watching Broward was born.”
Rubinstein has written his column for Watching Broward faithfully until his health took a turn in July. He says that what sets him apart from other writers is the unique position of having had experience on both sides of the dais.
Not only does Rubinstein write about controversial political topics, but Rubinstein himself has been controversial in that he also works as a political consultant for the very people he writes about. He has worked on the campaigns of Sunrise candidates, Commissioner Lawrence “Larry” Sofield, and Mayor Roger Wishner. He also did campaign work for Tamarac Commissioner Patte Atkins-Grad.
No matter how controversial Marty is, people read his columns. He is also a great influence on the writer of this website, Tamarac Talk. Readers can check him out as well at Watching Broward.
Rubinstein’s wife Diane and daughters Nicole and Amanda ask that you follow their updates about him on Facebook.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2023.03.3023-Year-Old Man Fatally Shot in North Lauderdale; Broward Sheriff’s Office Homicide Unit Investigating
- News2023.03.22FBI Miami Warns of $13 Million ‘Grandparent Scam’ Targeting Seniors
- News2023.03.21The Voice of Romance, Johnny Mathis, Celebrates 67 Years in Music with a Special Performance in Coral Springs
- News2023.03.19Woman Dies 5 Weeks After Multi-Vehicle Crash in North Lauderdale