By: Sharon Aron Baron
If you are on Facebook, you can’t help but notice supporters of marriage equality are wearing red today or have changed their profile to the red letter E. The City of Tamarac has many residents in same-sex relationships yet does not enjoy the same legal rights as their neighbors.
The Supreme Court today is hearing oral arguments on Proposition 8, which bans marriage in California, and will hear in the next two days the Defense of Marriage Act, a federal law — no longer supported by President Obama’s administration, that denies equal treatment for gay couples who work for the government.
You may not be able to help the cause in California; however, you can help fight for equal treatment here at home. The nationwide “Mayors for Freedom to Marry,” a bipartisan coalition of Mayors who pledge to support marriage for gay and lesbian couples, already has several South Florida Mayors that have signed up to show their support. Recently, Broward County Mayor Kristin Jacobs signed the pledge.
Municipal Mayors include Former Mayor Marilyn Gerber of Coconut Creek, Former Mayor Debbie Eisinger of Cooper City, Judy Paul of Davie, Joy Cooper of Hallandale, Peter Bober of Hollywood, Former Mayor of Pam Donovan of Margate, Lorie Moseley of Miramar, Frank Ortis of Pembroke Pines, Former Mayor Anne Sallee of Oakland Park, Michael Udine of Parkland, Ashira Mohammed of Pembroke Park, Mike Ryan of Sunrise and Gary Resnick of Wilton Manors.
Allowing loving and committed couples to join in marriage has benefits not just for couples and their families—but also for society. Marriage encourages people to take responsibility for each other, provides greater security for children, and helps our country live up to its promises set forth in our founding documents. These are important values for a strong society, and we should encourage them.” San Diego’s Republican Mayor Jerry Sanders – Chair of Mayors for the Freedom to Marry
On February 27th, I asked Mayor Talabisco to sign the “Mayors for the Freedom” to Marry campaign. I am still hoping that she will take the time to learn more and join the other mayors and support the campaign.
For more information, please visit Mayors for the Freedom to Marry.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024J.P. Taravella Drama Club Hosts Community Yard Sale and Craft Show on February 24
- NewsFebruary 16, 2024Detectives Search for Tamarac Man Missing Since Early January
- NewsFebruary 15, 2024“You’re a Fraud”: Tamarac Commissioner Blasts Website Tied to Marlon Bolton
- NewsFebruary 12, 2024Free Boot Camp Held to Boost Students’ Federal Aid Applications