By: Jen Russon
A fresh look is on the horizon for Fire Rescue Station 36. Currently a temporary structure until the nearby lot transforms into a massive permanent facility, it is meant to increase response times to local emergencies.
District 4 Commissioner Debra Placko and her constituents wanted something more like the newly dedicated Fire Station 78 on Commercial Boulevard and the Turnpike. That station was dedicated in May of 2017 with an Albert Paley sculpture, titled “Vigilance” to brighten up its façade.
The same construction company that designed Fire Station 78 will build a permanent 11,000-square-foot facility on 7499 NW 72nd Street off of University Drive. This 1.4 acre lot is less than 90 yards away from the temporary station which will remain in use until construction is completed sometime in 2020.
Fire Chief, Percy Sayles said he is excited to attend the groundbreaking ceremony on Tuesday. He evoked the city slogan in saying so.
“In Tamarac, we pride ourselves in being a safe and vibrant community that is ‘The City for Your Life’ – and the construction of this new fire station goes a long way towards keeping that commitment,” said Sayles.
The new fire station will include four engine bays, ten bunks and will also house the battalion chiefs. There will be a fueling station, generator and gymnasium.
The project, by Lantana-based West Construction, marks the third fire station they have built in north Broward County.
Proposals and bids to build Tamarac’s newest fire station have been in motion since the early months of 2017. Fire Station 36 is a $5.2 million project.
There will be a groundbreaking ceremony on Tuesday, February 12 at 10 a.m. Light refreshments will be served.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2022.01.07Broward Interim Superintendent Cartwright Answers Pressing Questions at Meet and Chat Event
- News2021.12.07Tamarac to Give Tribute to Late Veterinarian at Dog Park
- News2021.11.26Applications for School Choice to Open December 1
- News2021.11.22The Broward Health Coral Springs ‘Medical Staff Scholarship’ Now Accepting Applications