By: Sharon Aron Baron
Don’t think your Tamarac home is worth what the Broward County Tax Appraiser says its worth? Property owners who may want to appeal their property’s value, exemptions and classification can file for a petition with the County’s Value Adjustment Board (VAB) beginning Monday, August 5.
Property owners who disagree with the assessment on their property’s value or have been denied an exemption, classification or tax deferral can file electronically online using a credit card at bcvab.broward.org/axiaweb2013 or in person at the Broward County Governmental Center, 115 S. Andrews Ave., Second Floor, Room 200, Fort Lauderdale. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; hours on the final day to file will be from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
The VAB also reminds residents that the Florida Legislature passed a law, HB 281, in June 2011 regarding the payment of taxes. If you petition the VAB for anything other than a denial of tax deferral, you must pay all non-ad valorem assessments and a portion of your ad valorem taxes before they become delinquent, usually by April 1.
For an assessment or portability appeal, you are required to make a payment of at least 75 percent of your ad valorem taxes.
Property owners must make a good faith payment of the taxes that they believe they owe for an appeal of a classification, exemption or whether an improvement was substantially complete on January 1. The petition will be denied if the taxes are not paid as described under Florida Statute 194.014. The deadline to file a timely petition is Monday, September 18. There is a $15 nonrefundable fee for filing a petition.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- Crime & Safety2020.02.19Vehicle Strikes Pole, Leaving One Dead in Tamarac
- Crime & Safety2020.02.18Burglar Uses Ploy Before Smashing His Way into Neighbor’s Home
- News2020.02.17Broward Sheriff’s Office Holding Open House for Interested Job Applicants Feb 22
- News2020.02.15Clear Space by Safely Disposing Hazardous Waste on February 22