By: Matt Rothman
J.P. Taravella got the District Championship in soccer underway while hosting Senior Night on Wednesday.
The boys soccer team knocked out Coral Springs High School from the District Championship with a 2-1 win for only their third win.Ray Graham and Santiago Orozco scored goals for the Trojans, who honored their seniors. JPT then fell 4-0 against Marjory Stoneman Douglas and finished the year 3-8-2.
JPT also continued their success in basketball, with the boys winning their last two games after their loss against Coral Glades. The Trojans beat Palmetto High School 74-71 on January 20, with Jordan Arriaga scoring 19 points. Camden Fearon added 17 with ten assists, while James Ganley had 11.
“Our win against Palmetto was a huge program win,” Head Coach Eric Kapel said. “They are a really good team and have a guy averaging 25 points per game. Showed our guys we can compete with anyone.”
The Trojans followed that up with a 74-60 win against McArthur High School.
“It felt good to beat McArthur,” Kapel added. They were a big district rival when I used to be at Cooper City. I am very happy with where we are sitting at 13-5 right now.”
JPT will be tested again on Saturday, January 27, against the reigning state champion, Belen Jesuit. They, though, come into the game with a record of 9-9. Tip-off is set for 12:30 p.m.
The girls basketball team has not played since their loss against Coral Glades on January 16. Their next game will be on Monday, January 29, at 6 p.m. before hosting Marjory Stoneman Douglas for Senior Night on January 31.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Trojans Triumph in Season Opener After Baseball Team Dominates South Broward High
- NewsJanuary 26, 2024J.P. Taravella Sports Recap: District Championship, Senior Night & More
- NewsJanuary 16, 2024J.P. Taravella Varsity Teams Navigate Challenges and Triumphs in 2024 Season
- NewsJanuary 4, 2024Brandon Meyers Wins Broward County Bowler of the Year: Conference Awards Announced