By: Sharon Aron Baron
The latest group of graduates stepped up and accepted their diplomas from the Tamarac University program at the City Commission meeting last week.
Led by Assistant Director of Information Technology, Jim Twigger, and Special Projects Coordinator Mike Gresek, this six week interactive program gave residents a behind-the-scenes look at Tamarac, and the opportunity to meet their local government officials face-to-face in a classroom-like atmosphere.
Residents learned from elected officials, department directors, and other City staff about the role of local government and public service. “I think that it’s a great opportunity to learn about the city,” said Twigger. “There’s so many facets of the city, to see everything working in tandem is just amazing.”
Many Tamarac University have used it as a training ground for volunteering in the community or eventually serving in office. It also provides great networking opportunities for civic-minded residents.
Each year there is an annual pot-luck dinner for all alumni of the program.
The application process begins in the Fall of each year, and is advertised in the Tam-A-Gram and Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.09Local Filmmaker Holds Screening of ‘I Wanna Be A Criminal’ in Tamarac
- News2021.09.07Broward County Public Schools Hiring Bus Drivers for 2021-22 School Year
- News2021.09.01Reserve Your Space at the Next City-Wide Garage Sale