By: Tara Piatek
Relay For Life is an opportunity for communities to fight back against cancer. It is a time to honor those who are currently fighting cancer, those who have beat cancer, and those brave individuals who have lost their lives to the unforgiving disease. It is a time for the community to come together to walk and run around a track to raise money to fight a disease that has claimed too many of our neighbors.
It is also a time to celebrate and remember. The event kicks off with a Survivor Lap, where cancer survivors are honored by their loved ones and all those who are present, for their courage. A Luminaria Ceremony takes place later that evening, where candles are lit in honor or memory of all those who have been affected by cancer.
The Tamarac Relay for Life will hold its annual fundraising event on Saturday May 2nd noon – midnight at Millennium Middle School in Tamarac and families will enjoy a carnival atmosphere with live entertainment, games, food, arts and crafts and much more. Admission is free but games, food, bounce house and activities are extra.
All proceeds from the event will benefit the American Cancer Society to continue their round the clock services to cancer patients and their families. Nearly fourteen million cancer survivors will add another candle to their birthday cakes this year; and thanks to communities like Tamarac, this number will increase.
For more information about Tamarac Relay on the Midway, including registering a team, individual, survivor or becoming a sponsor, please contact Chelsea Wagner 954- 200-7536 or visit our website – www.relayforlife.org/tamaracfl or Facebook – Tamarac Relay.
Millennium Middle School is located at 5803 NW 94th Ave, Tamarac, FL 33321.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk and Parkland Talk.
Tamarac Talk was created in 2010 to provide News, Views and Entertainment for the residents of Tamarac.
- News2019.09.19Coral Springs Center for the Arts Launches Comedy and Music October and November
- News2019.09.18Tamarac City Commissioners Voted to Approve Office Furnishings in Amended Budget
- News2019.09.18Broward County Schools Holds ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2019.09.17Students Can Earn Service Hours at 34th Annual International Coastal Cleanup