By Ryan Yousefi
A man faces robbery charges after assaulting and robbing a pedestrian who refused to help him push his disabled car to the side of the road.
On August 20, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to reports of a robbery attempt near the Speedway at 8550 North University Drive.
Upon arrival, deputies made contact with a victim who claimed a man, later identified as Theron Oliphant, 48, of Lauderhill, had threatened him and attempted to rob him on the side of the road.
The victim said Oliphant had been driving a Black Chevrolet Impala that had broken down in the middle lane of Southgate Boulevard, east of North University Drive in Tamarac.
According to the victim’s statement, Oliphant encountered the victim and asked him to help push his vehicle to get it out of the road. When the victim declined to help the stranded car, Oliphant allegedly approached him and punched him in the face.
The report shows after punching the victim, Oliphant demanded his belongings, yelling at him, “Give me your shit, or I am going to beat your ass,” before forcibly snatching the victim’s bookbag from his hand.
Oliphant continued threatening and taunting the victim, but the victim told deputies he managed to snatch back his bookbag from his grasp and fled to the nearby Speedway Gas Station for safety.
The victim told deputies he ran into the gas station and pleaded with employees to call 911. Soon after, BSO deputies arrived, upon receiving a description of Oliphant from the victim, located him seated at the center median by the stranded vehicle.
The victim positively identified him as the man who had assaulted and attempted to rob him.
Oliphant was arrested and transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Dirty Dog’s Car Wash Opens with Grand Opening Celebration
- NewsSeptember 24, 2023Lauderhill’s Mayor Thurston Hosts Move with the Mayor and Fitness Challenge
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Tamarac Man Attempts to Drown Woman in Community Pool
- NewsSeptember 19, 2023BSO North Lauderdale and Home Depot Team Up for ‘Building Bonds’ Children’s Workshop