Welcome to April! It’s a fantastic time of year. Warm breezes fill the air, and nature is bustling with life and the promise of abundance. Spring is a sacred period of transformation and rebirth for many cultures and religions. I hope this spring season delivers positive change and prosperity for you and your loved ones.
The family fun kicks off on April 1 at Peter Cottontail’s Springfest at Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th St. This free event features bounce houses, games, and an egg hunt for ages 10 & below. The egg hunt starts promptly at 10 a.m., so hop to it early so you don’t miss the action!
Join us at the next Movie in the Park for a free viewing of “DC League of Super-Pets” on Friday, April 14, at the Tamarac Sports Complex. There’ll be fun pre-movie activities beginning at 6:30 p.m., like face painting, inflatable rides, music, and food from on-site food trucks. Don’t forget to bring your blankets and lawn chairs. The movie starts at 8:00 p.m. so please be there on time. Free bag of popcorn included while supplies last.
Calling all poetry lovers! Join us for the City of Tamarac’s Inaugural Poetry Slam hosted by Rebecca Butterfly Vaughns on Saturday, April 15, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Participants can register at www.tamarac.me/events. Must be ages 15 & older. For more information, call 954-597-3620.
Mark your calendars for the next Groove on the Grass on Friday, April 21st, featuring the Memory Lane band. Join us from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th St., and remember to bring your lawn chairs or blankets. You can grab something yummy from one of the on-site food trucks. There’ll also be inflatable rides for the kids, so invite the whole family!
Thank you for coming to our 20/20/20 class last month. I love seeing you return month after month to enhance your wellness. You have all helped make this series successful, and I am truly grateful for your ongoing support! I hope you’ll join me for a free Jazzercise class at our next Move with the Mayor event on Friday, April 28. Our workout begins at 6:00 p.m., led by Instructor Warren at the Caporella Aquatics Pavilion, 9300 NW 58th St.
The new Tamarac Pet Food Pantry is officially open! This project has been a dream of mine for many years, and I’m grateful to the City staff for helping it come to life. The Pet Pantry is located at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 North University Dr., and is open on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and Thursday of each month by appointment only. The first appointment is at 1 p.m., and the last appointment is at 6 p.m. We accept new and unopened food products for dogs and cats as long as the food isn’t expired. Please note that we’re currently not accepting pet products, like cages, toys, etc., at this time. For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/3n06nY8.
- I’m delighted to be a speaker at the Women’s Leadership Initiative event, “Politically Savvy: Building relationships that get the deal done.” It takes place from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 12th, and will be held at DPR Construction located at 1301 E Broward Blvd. #300, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304. The event is open to the public. Tickets can be purchased at https://bit.ly/3zfK4kp.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Blvd.
- New Hope Church will hold a food distribution on Tuesday, April 18th, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and every third Tuesday of the month at 545 E Campus Circle, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312.
- Don’t miss Food Truck Fridays every last Friday of the month between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Stop by with the family and choose from various delicious food vendors. There’ll be lots of fun, music, and games for everyone to enjoy!
- Ready for fresh produce, delicious bites, pet treats, artisanal goodies, and more?! Come by the Tamarac Community Farmer’s Market, currently held at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Dr., from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Sunday.
- The 2023 First-Time Homebuyer Purchase Assistance Program sign-up will be available online at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, April 18th. Following sign-up, applicants are required to have a first mortgage from a lender and be under contract for a property located within the City of Tamarac to be processed. Applications will be accepted and processed on a first-ready, first-served basis. All applicants must also attend a HUD-approved 8-Hour First-Time Homebuyers Class and obtain the certificate. For additional requirements and more information, please visit http://bit.ly/3JItYWo or call the Housing Division at (954) 597-3549.
Happy Ramadan, Palm Sunday, Passover, and Easter to all who celebrate!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.