Welcome to November! While the leaves may not be changing color to denote the fall season, the cool, dry air is very much a signal to us here in Tamarac that the holiday season has begun!
Before jumping into the fun calendar items for the month, there are several items to note:
Thank you to our 2023 sponsors, attendees, and supporters. Our first Ha-Ha’s for the Tatas comedy event exceeded our expectations! Through your generosity, we proudly announce that we raised over $20,000.00 for Gilda’s Club South Florida and the newly established Tamarac Employee Benevolent Fund! Please Save the Date for October 19, 2024, for the next Ha-Ha’s comedy event!
FINALLY, the NW 77th Street Swale Drainage and Sidewalk Improvement Project contractor has been selected, and construction should begin soon! The estimated completion is spring 2024. This project will remove the temporary orange cones from the park side of NW 77th Street, stop people from parking on the grass, fix the drainage, and add very nice walkable curb appeal to the area!
We are all feeling the cost of homeowners’ insurance skyrocketing! The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, November 6, 2023, and end no later than Thursday, November 9, for the 2023 Special Session C.
Among other topics, this Special Session will include discussions about lowering the costs of homeowners’ insurance. This means that the time is now to let them know they need to fix the insurance and reserves issues! Some of the legislators may not know how bad the situation is, with yearly insurance costs doubling and tripling to the tune of THOUSANDS of dollars, not pennies.
Make your voices heard not only by our Broward Delegation but by EVERY Florida Senator and House Representative! The following links provide their contact information to share your thoughts and concerns through emails, telephone calls, and letters. Please reach out to them NOW and let them know! myfloridahouse.gov/representatives m.flsenate.gov/Senators/List and senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm.
On a closer-to-home note, while this adage may seem stale, it is always current – If You See Something, Say Something! This is for security purposes and anything around the City. We need your help keeping our City safe and clean. While you can always call Code Enforcement (954-597-3425), you can also visit www.Tamarac.org/Help to report any concerns, suggestions, and even compliments!
Along the lines of see something, say something, this stands true for everyone who sees an injustice being committed against a person just because another doesn’t agree with the fundamental being of the other. We live in a world where we are free to be who we are, pray how we want to pray, and love who we want to love. No one should live in fear of being themselves. My freedom of speech ends when it hits your ears if it incites violence and hate. We live in a wonderful City that embraces everyone as they are and as they believe. We truly are One Tamarac! May the City of Tamarac be an example to all other Cities so we can Stop the Hate!
Join us from 10:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday, November 4, at the Tamarac Community Center (8601 W. Commercial Blvd.) for the 9th Annual Mayors’ Chess Challenge. This event is free for players of all ages and all skill levels! This event moves throughout the Cities in Broward and now Palm Beach County. For a complete schedule, please visit SunriseFL.gov/Chess. Hope to see you there!
The next day, you will wake to Eastern Standard Time as we move the clocks back at 2:00 a.m., Sunday, November 5. (More in “Important Reminders.”)
By now, you may already know that the grand opening and ribbon cutting of the new Fairfield by Marriott was rescheduled to Tuesday, November 7, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at 6800 NW 88th Avenue. The hotel did open to guests last month and is receiving great reviews! Come take a tour of the new location and plan your next staycation or where your visiting friends and family can stay the next time they are in town!
As always, I am very honored to recognize our heroes who served our Country! Now, we get to do so at our newly renovated Veterans’ Memorial Park (7825 Southgate Blvd.). I hope to see you for our Veterans Day Ceremony that starts at 10:30 a.m., Saturday, November 11, 2023. THANK YOU VETERANS!
Like to line dance? Then join us for our next Move with the Mayor for Zumba led by Maria on Friday, November 17! This free, hour-long class will have you moving to the music, and you won’t even know you are exercising! Dance at your own pace starting at 6:00 p.m. at the Caporella Aquatics Pavilion (9300 NW 58th St.).Then, it is time to join us for our other annual November event – the TURKEY TROT! Our Tamarac Turkey Trot 5K starts promptly, bright, and early, at 7:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, Thursday, November 23, at City Hall (7525 NW 88th Ave.)
Register at: RunSignUp.com/TamaracTurkeyTrot. This event is perfect for all ages; participants can run, jog, or walk.
Last but not least, for the month, we are kicking off our holiday celebrations with our Holiday Lighting event at Caporella Park. If you didn’t get to the grand re-opening last month, then join us for the festivities and check out the park’s improvements. The fun starts at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 30th (5200 Prospect Road).
- Daylight Savings Time returns this month on Sunday, November 5! Take advantage of this time to
- Install or check the batteries in your smoke detector.
- Double-check your emergency plan and go-bags.
- Food distributions continue every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., or while supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church (6501 W. Commercial Boulevard.)
- Get local fresh produce, delicious bites, pet treats, artisanal goodies, and more at the Tamarac Community Farmer’s Market back at the Tamarac Veterans Park (7825 Southgate Blvd.) from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Sunday.
- The City of Tamarac hosts a Circle of Support group every Monday, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Tamarac Community Center. This group is led by a licensed mental health therapist and is open to all. Guests will learn strategies to cope with life changes. For more information, please call 954-597-3642.
- The Tamarac Pet Pantry has donations available for pet families in need! The Pantry is located at the Tamarac Recreation Center (7501 North University Dr.) and is open by appointment on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and Thursday of each month. The first appointment is at 1:00 p.m., and the last is at 6:00 p.m. We accept new and unopened food products for dogs and cats if the food isn’t expired. For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/3n06nY8 or call (954) 597-3642.
For today, and every day, and especially in honor of Veterans Day:
- remember those who died unnecessarily;
- thank all of our first responders and servicemen and women who protect us;
- thank those who are preparing to be our future defenders;
- thank their families as well;
- thank the unsung heroes and
- remain proud to be living in our wonderful Country!
Happy Veterans Day, Diwali, and Thanksgiving!
I remain ever so grateful for the support you give me. Thank you!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.