By Agrippina Fadel
This year’s One Tamarac celebration will honor the local multicultural community and commemorate the city’s 60th Anniversary.
“The festival has grown over the years, and it reflects what makes Tamarac so special: we are a multicultural and multigenerational city,” said Mayor Michelle Gomez, adding that while the official city’s birthday is July 19, 1963, One Tamarac event will kick off the celebrations early.
Held on Saturday, May 20, from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex, the free festival includes musical entertainment by international recording artist Paul Anthony and the Reggae Souljahs and Grammy-award-winning artist Tomasito Cruz Band.
Other performances include Fushu Daiko Japanese Taiko and SASA African Dance Theater. The festival features a cultural exhibition area, local trivia, a laser light show, a children’s fun zone, and a diverse lineup of local food vendors.
“This family-friendly event offers something for people of all ages. One Tamarac gives our vibrant community an opportunity to come together and learn about different cultures through dance, fashion, art, and cuisine. It is a great way to get to know our neighbors,” said Gomez.
She added that the celebration will culminate with an impressive laser light show at 9 p.m.
“As much as I like fireworks, I am glad our city took a step to try something new and organize a laser light show instead. We can get the same level of excitement and energy without hurting people suffering from PTSD and other conditions affected by loud noise and scaring pets and wild animals,” added Gomez.
“I am sure it will be a beautiful evening, and I hope many residents will stop by with their families to celebrate,” she said.
Tamarac Sports Complex is located at 9901 NW 77th Street.
- Agrippina Fadel grew up in Siberia and received her master's in journalism from Tyumen State University. Agrippina is also a writer and editor at Draftsy.net. She has been a US resident for over ten years and speaks English and Russian.
- NewsDecember 3, 2023Ticket Alert: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Tribute Show at the Palace
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Doo-Wop Delight: Don’t Miss a Night of Nostalgia with John Tarangelo at the Kings Point Palace
- NewsNovember 21, 2023Don’t Miss the 43nd Annual Tamarac Turkey Trot
- NewsNovember 19, 2023Register Now for the Kings Point Holiday Expo