By Saraana Jamraj
Grocery workers, considered essential workers during this pandemic, are facing health and safety risks every day, as they continue to be exposed to the public.
Now, several South Florida Publix stores have confirmed positive coronavirus cases, including Tamarac’s Midway Plaza Publix located at 5881 North University Drive.
The report was released by the Miami Herald on April 24, where they shared that Publix confirmed positive cases in at least 20 stores.
Additionally, one store in Coconut Creek located at 5365 Lyons Road, and one in Coral Springs, located at 5950 Coral Ridge Drive, also had positive cases.
Of the 20 stores that had positive cases, four had multiple cases, but they did not share which four stores those were. Due to privacy laws, they also refrained from sharing when those employees tested positive.
An employee with Publix at Midway Plaza, who did not provide his name, confirmed there was a positive case, however, he was unsure if there was more than one. He said if there was someone who tested positive, they would not currently be working at the store.
Publix had previously discouraged their workers from wearing personal protective equipment—but reversed course, and on April 20, started requiring them to wear masks, except those in the deli, meat and seafood departments.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.10.18Registration for Tamarac Youth T-Ball League
- News2020.10.16Battery Charges Dropped for Pepper-Spraying Sergeant, Head-slamming Deputy Still on the Hook
- News2020.10.15After Tense Talks Tamarac Keeps Tax Rate Unchanged
- News2020.10.13Applications for 4th Round of Residential Assistance Applications Open