By: Sharon Aron Baron
In a gala event called “SoFIA Celebrates” honoring community leaders, the South Florida Institute on Aging recognized local community members and volunteers for their impactful work with the aging community.
In attendance at the event was Tamarac Commissioner Julie Fishman, who represents Kings Point — one of the largest senior communities in Broward County.
Lynn Brewer, SoFIA board chair, said the future of the organization has never looked brighter.
“Our team has worked hard to advance SoFIA’s innovative mission through new programing focused on underserved senior populations like the LGBT community and underemployed older adults,” and added they are also focused on intergenerational engagement, which continues to bring a new level of energy to our overall mission.
During SoFIA Celebrates the Dignity in Aging Collaborative was recognized with the Think Award for its longstanding and cohesive support of the senior community. Organizations included in the collaborative are The Jim Moran Foundation, The Frederick A. Deluca Foundation, Jewish Federation of Broward County, Community Foundation of Broward and United Way of Broward County.
The Act Award was presented to CBS4 Miami news anchor Rudabeh Shahbazi, whose on-air programming has shed light on the pressing needs of older adults and innovative solutions SoFIA and other organizations offer. Comcast was the recipient of the Thrive Award for offering discounted, affordable high-speed internet to seniors so they can keep up with current events, stay in touch with family and friends, and access resources they may need.
During SoFIA Celebrates, Piney Grove Boys Academy elementary student Nathan Smith and his foster grandparent, Dorothy Chestnut, spoke about SoFIA’s Foster Grandparent Program and the impact the innovative program has had on their lives.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2022.05.18Joey Lanouette Qualifies by Petition for the Tamarac City Commission District 2 Seat
- News2022.05.16Official 2022/23 Broward County Public Schools Color Calendar is Out
- News2022.05.13Tamarac Holds Memorial Day Ceremony Followed By Live Music May 30
- News2022.05.12Former City Attorney Stuart Michelson Qualifies by Petition for Tamarac Commission Seat