By: Jen Russon
The city of Sunrise is offering middle and high school students throughout Broward County the opportunity to earn service hours during a virtual open mic night, known as “The Lyrical Lounge.”
Held virtually due to the pandemic, this open mic night occurs six times a year and will be hosted over Zoom in collaboration with the Jason Taylor Foundation and Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network.
Whether on stage at the city of Sunrise theatre or broadcast from a computer screen, The Lyrical Lounge has a coffee-house vibe. Its poets, musicians, and other talented teens use this part of the WordUp! Poetry initiative, not only to channel their emotions through self-expression but eventually compete in Slam Night.
Daniel Dominique, cultural arts supervisor for Sunrise said that the Lyrical Lounge may be a different event than WordUp!, but is still a good way to get acquainted with the poetry initiative, once its on-site writing workshops and poetry slam resume.
Each program is open to students ages 13 to 19 throughout Broward County and facilitated by a trained educator.
The first Lyrical Lounge, Teen Open Mic Night entertained an audience of more than 100 teenagers and featured 35 on-stage artists.
Help from teen volunteers and hosts are needed each year, and another way to earn the two service hours offered after completion. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Lyrical Lounge is on Friday, November 18 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Register here.
Got news? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2021.10.21Emergency Nurses Recognized at Broward Health Coral Springs
- News2021.10.18Principal: Student Vehicles Parked in Tamarac Shopping Plaza will be Towed
- News2021.08.22J.P. Taravella Drama Selling Spots for ‘Huge’ Garage Sale and Craft Show
- News2021.08.10The Maternity Place at Broward Health Coral Springs Voted South Florida’s Best by Regional Family Magazine