By Selene Raj
Swim lessons throughout the summer have been announced in Tamarac, with new guidelines issued as well.
Held at the Caporella Aquatic Complex, four different classes are being offered, and spaces are limited.
Parent + Preschool
Students learn to swim with the comfort of a parent at their side, is a swim class that teaches elementary water skills that can be built on as they progress through various swim levels. The classes will be held Monday through Thursday, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
A swim-class designed for children between three and five years old teaches children to learn how to ask for permission to enter the water, how to exit and enter the pool, how to blow bubbles, submerging, and how to float with assistance. The classes will be held Monday through Thursday, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m, 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Level 1 Swim Classes
Designed for children five years and older, with little or no swimming experience. At the class, they are taught independent submersion, kicking, arm padding, floating, jumping, water adaptation, blowing bubbles, underwater recovery, climbing out of the pool, what to do if they fall in, and underwater recovery. The classes will be held Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m, 10:00 a.m to 10:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10:00a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Level 2 Swim Classes
Designed for children five years or older who have passed Level 1 skills, or older kids without past swimming experience. In those classes, they learn to improve Level 1 skills, as well as front crawl stroke, elementary backstroke, floating, glides, and surface dives. The classes will be held Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m, 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m, 6:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Classes begin on June 29 and end on July 9. Enrolling costs will include eight classes of parent’s choosing.
They must have a minimum of two students, to be held, and will have a maximum of three students per class. The cost for residents is $45, and for non-residents, it is $55.
The Caporella Aquatic Complex is located at 9300 NW 58 Street. Parents will be contacted via telephone if any classes are canceled due to inclement weather. For more information, call 954-597-3600 or visit them online.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- NewsDecember 6, 2021Social Club for 55-Plus Caribbean-Americans Launches with First Event
- NewsNovember 23, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsAugust 25, 2021Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- NewsMarch 16, 2021Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover