By Sharon Aron Baron
On Thursday, almost three years after the deadly Marjory Stoneman Douglas massacre, legislation to repeal unconstitutional gun regulation on local governments was filed.
State Rep Dan Daley (D-Coral Springs) filed HB 6033. State Senator Annette Taddeo (D-Miami) filed the Senate companion SB 672 to repeal Section 790.33, Florida Statutes, which currently preempts local gun regulations.
Currently, if local elected officials choose to enact gun regulations within their communities, it could result in fines, removal from office, and lawsuits. After the Parkland massacre, this caused frustration from the Coral Springs city commission after residents demanded changes. In 1987 the law was enacted; however, in 2011, Matt Gaetz, who sponsored HB 45 in the House, helped pass the punitive provisions.
Daley wants to repeal both of these.
“Since 2011, local elected officials — those who know their community best — have been prevented from doing what their residents demand. Gun violence is an epidemic that the entire nation is being subjected to, and all levels of government should have a seat at the solution table,” said Rep. Daley.
A 2008 graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Daley joined with fellow local elected officials to bring the lawsuit to overturn the “draconian and unconstitutional punitive provisions.”
“This NRA-backed law was wrong when it was passed in 1987 and is wrong today. That’s why I’m proud to sponsor this legislation alongside Senator Taddeo.”
Dan Daley serves as State Representative for District 97 in the Florida House of Representatives and represents Coral Springs, Tamarac, Sunrise, and Plantation.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.02.26Trulieve Opens First Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Tamarac
- News2021.02.26Cardiologist at University Hospital and Medical Center Doesn’t Miss a Beat Explaining AFib
- News2021.02.23Girl Scout Cookie Sales Are Here: Tamarac Locations February 26-28
- News2021.02.23President Biden Orders Flags Lowered to Honor 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19