By: Sharon Aron Baron
Felipe Guzman of Tamarac is such a big fan of Spiderman that it was only fitting that the superhero himself made a special appearance at his preschool today to assist with his new wheelchair which will allow him to become more independent.
This isn’t just any wheelchair, this was a $9,000 custom wheelchair donated by the Darrell Gwynn Foundation.
It was just in time too. His old adaptive stroller, which was being held together with duct tape, was too heavy for his family to use, and was causing Felipe back pain. The custom wheelchair has a red and blue Spiderman theme and even has a Spiderman carrying case in the back.
He first received his chair this morning at the ARC Broward in Sunrise where he attends preschool.
“He was so excited,” said Micah Moreno with the Darrell Gwynn Foundation.
Felipe, 3, was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy and cannot walk said Moreno. He’s always been dependent on others for his mobility, however, after he used a trial custom wheelchair a few weeks ago, he was able to scoot around with his feet for the first time.
Felipe’s mom Blanca Villanueva is thrilled said Moreno. She’s a single mom of three boys and couldn’t have purchased the wheelchair without the help of the foundation.
“Now, Felipe can move himself, he can play on the playground, and get around with all his friends,” she said.
For more information about the Darrell Gwynn Foundation visit them at www.darrellgwynnfoundation.org
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.05.11Next Free Food Distribution Dates In Tamarac, Sunrise, and Coral Springs
- News2021.05.11Bolton Blames Mayor, City Manager, After His Spending Items Are Leaked to Press
- News2021.05.07Investigation Into Public Records Media Leak May Cost Tamarac Taxpayers up to $50,000
- News2021.05.06Broward County Votes to Change the Woodlands Golf Greens into Homes