By Sherry Nabbie-Singh
The city commission has a packed agenda on April 14. One of the items will be the sale of 1.41 acres of the city-owned property that was once a Piccadilly Cafeteria.
Located at 7499 NW 72nd Street, in front of the newly constructed Fire Station 36, Group B Properties FL LLC. was recommended to the commission by Colliers International, which is marketing the property on behalf of the city.
Colliers reported that five bids on the property were received. After each group gave a ten-minute presentation, three bids were chosen by Colliers for consideration.
The three bids were $1.05 million from Group B Properties FL, LLC for an upscale retail establishment, JM Properties of Florida, LLC who proposed $1.3 million for a 7-Eleven gas station, and Sure Equity LLC offering $1.7 million to build a 24-hour Wawa gas station.
Colliers recommends the proposal from Group B Properties FL, LLC is the closest to the city’s objectives for that site.
Vice Mayor Elvin Villalobos said he discussed the offer from Group B Properties FL, LLC with the city manager. Despite being the lowest offer, it suggests there will be three retail stores and two restaurants — including rooftop seating.
“This will be a phenomenal addition to our city,” said Villalobos, who added this was also a pressing issue where the commission heard from so many residents about the lack of restaurants and entertainment.
“This is presenting a huge opportunity for us to fill that void.”
He added that although the offers for the gas stations and convenience stores are higher, there is already a gas station close by, and he believes the city can use the retail establishments and restaurants.
The virtual commission meeting takes place on Wednesday, April 14 at 7 p.m. Visit the website for more information on how to view the meeting.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- A self-published author and professional makeup artist who has resided in Tamarac since 2011. Originally from Trinidad, Sherry graduated from the University of the West Indies with a bachelor of arts in literature in English.
- News2021.05.09Teen Group Organizes Feminine Hygiene Drive to Help Those in Need
- News2021.05.06Commissioner Gelin Proposes $3.5 Million Track for Tamarac Sports Complex
- News2021.05.04Ferro’s Pizza: New Owner, Same Taste
- News2021.04.23Don’t Miss the Bus! Bake It On Wheels Rolls into Tamarac for Mother’s Day Event