By Ryan Yousefi
With COVID-19 cases spiking all around the state, Tamarac Talk continues providing updates from the Florida Department of Health.
On December 29, there were 180,143 COVID-19 tests conducted in Florida, the most that have been conducted in weeks, and nearly 100,000 more tests that were administered on a daily basis since Christmas Day.
Of the tests administered, 18,073 returned positive — or 10 percent. Of the positive test results, 13,495 were new cases.
There were 3,430 positive COVID-19 cases in Tamarac — an increase of 61 positive cases since we last updated readers on December 28.
Statewide in Florida, there have been 1,306,123 positive COVID-19 cases to date. Florida is one of only three states in the U.S. to have recorded over 1 million COVID-19 cases, with only California and Texas registering more.
The average age to contract COVID-19 in Broward County on December 29 was 41-years-old, a slight uptick compared to previous days. For weeks, the average age of a person contracting COVID-19 in Florida has hovered at or around 40-years-old.
Since the pandemic began, there have been 21,546 deaths to date in Florida due to COVID-19 and a total of 62,508 patients hospitalized due to the virus.
Below are cases sorted by Broward County cities:
Fort Lauderdale 30,246
Pompano Beach 13,870
Coral Springs 7,145
Deerfield Beach 3,926
Coconut Creek 3,091
Pembroke Pines 2,420
North Lauderdale 2,214
Oakland Park 1,862
Cooper City 1,384
Wilton Manors 607
Lauderdale Lakes 575
Southwest Ranches 459
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiples outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- News2021.01.27Tamarac COVID-19 Update: Testing Falls, Positivity Rates Remain High
- News2021.01.25Tamarac COVID-19 Update: Weekend Testing and Cases Fall, Positivity Rate Rises
- News2021.01.22Tamarac COVID-19 Update: Cases and Positivity Rate Spikes In Florida
- News2021.01.20Tamarac COVID-19 Update: Florida Positivity Rate Nears 2021 High