By Selene Raj
In another effort to provide relief for small businesses economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, Tamarac has launched a new grant program.
The City of Tamarac has committed $100,000 from the federal Community Development Block Grant CARES emergency funds to eligible small businesses.
Recipients of the grant may receive up to $5,000 in funds to be used on operating expenses, such as rent, payroll, and utilities, and do not require repayment.
Because the funds are limited, the city is focusing on the most vulnerable businesses, as outlined in the guidelines they were provided with.
- Eligible businesses must be small and independently owned that can demonstrate losses due to COVID-19.
- The business owner’s income must be at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income and can only have 15 or fewer employees, including the owner.
- Newer businesses are not eligible, as the company must have been operating in Tamarac for at least 12 months before March 1, 2020.
- Of course, it must also be located within the Tamarac city limits, and have a valid City of Tamarac Business Revenue Receipt.
- They will prioritize assistance to companies that sell products and services to customers face-to-face.
- Ineligible businesses include national franchises or chains, home-based businesses, and businesses that are restricted to patrons over the age of 18.
- Because of the restriction above, cannabis retailers, bars, and adult stores are excluded.
- Incomplete applications or those lacking supporting documentation will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted for one week, from August 24 at 9:00 a.m. until August 28 at 5:00 p.m. They can be submitted online or dropped off at a drop-box at city hall at Grant application.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2021.11.23Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- News2021.08.25Nonprofit Teams Up with City to Provide Free Hearing Tests
- News2021.03.16Chabad Jewish Center of Tamarac Holds Events You Can’t Passover
- News2021.03.02The Broward Sheriff’s Office Makes Personal Bunny Visits in Tamarac