Welcome to August! Can you believe we’re halfway through summer, and school is almost back in session? Time is flying!
We’re kicking off the school season with the Back-to-School Splash on Saturday, August 5, at the Caporella Aquatic Complex, 9300 NW 58th St. Stop by between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to enjoy some music, games, and more by the pool. The first 60 children (ages 5-12) will receive a “back-to-school” goodie bag. So get there early! Admission is $5 per person. For more information, call (954) 597-3660.
Families in need can participate in this year’s Backpack Distribution by calling the Social Services Division to pre-register and make an appointment for pick up at (954) 597-3626. Please note that you must qualify within income guidelines, be a Tamarac resident, and provide proof of income and residency. Appointments are available from August 8 to August 15.
The family fun continues on Friday, August 11, at the Parks and Rec’s Family Re’Union Family Vision Board Night from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Registration is required. Visit Tamarac. me/Events to register.
The City of Tamarac is having a Hygiene Drive & Car Show Community Outreach Day on Saturday, August 12, from 5 – 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Sports Complex, 9901 NW 77th St. We’ll be accepting toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant, adult diapers, sanitary pads, and other hygiene items to help those experiencing homelessness in Broward County. In addition, there will be over 40 classic cars and live music for those attending the drive. Please consider donating to this wonderful cause.
The next Move with the Mayor event is on Friday, August 18, at 6:00 p.m. and features a free Jazzercise class led by Warren at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 N. University Dr. Hope to see you there!
Please help us support Tamarac’s EMS team on Saturday, August 19, at their Pancake Breakfast fundraiser at TFR Station 41, 7515 NW 88th Ave. All proceeds will help fund their travel to Lazarote, Spain and compete in the World Rescue Challenge. Tamarac’s EMS team will compete against 50 other international organizations representing the United States and Tamarac! Tickets are $10 per person and are available for purchase at https://account.venmo.com/u/Michael-Boyhan.
The final Tamarac 2040 Comprehensive Planning Meeting will take place at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 22, at the Community Center. I encourage you to attend and participate in this important meeting which will shape policy planning and development in Tamarac for the next 20 years. The last plan was between 2007 and 2009, and our city has grown tremendously since then. Your input will help ensure Tamarac reflects your needs and keep our city flourishing for years to come. For more information, call Community Development Department at (954) 597-3540. To take the Comprehensive Plan Survey, visit https://veravoice-tamarac.herokuapp.com/.
Congratulations to the City of Tamarac for winning the Florida League of Mayors’ (FLM) Mayors Municipal Innovation Award in the Quality of Life category for our Pet Pantry initiative. I’m proud that our commitment to our citizens and furry friends is recognized in such a meaningful way, and I am truly grateful to all those who have supported this project and continue to donate. It will be an honor to accept the award during the FLM Business Meeting during the Florida League of Cities Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida, on August 9!
- Food distributions continue every Saturday, beginning at 8:00 a.m. until supplies last, at the Korean United Methodist Church, 6501 W. Commercial Blvd.
- Get local fresh produce, delicious bites, pet treats, artisanal goodies, and more at the Tamarac Community Farmer’s Market. It’s currently being held at Tamarac Park, 7501 N. University Dr., from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. every Sunday.
- The City of Tamarac is hosting a Circle of Support group every Monday, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., at the Tamarac Community Center. This group is led by a licensed mental health therapist and is open to all. Guests will learn strategies to cope with life changes. For more information, please call 954-597-3642.
- Don’t miss Food Truck Fridays every last Friday of the month between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. at the Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W. Commercial Blvd. Stop by with the family and choose from various delicious food vendors. There’ll be lots of fun, music, and games for everyone to enjoy!
- The Tamarac Pet Pantry has donations available for pet families in need! The Pantry is located at the Tamarac Recreation Center, 7501 North University Dr., and is open by appointment on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and Thursday of each month. The first appointment is at 1 p.m., and the last is at 6 p.m. We accept new and unopened food products for dogs and cats if the food isn’t expired. For more information, please visit www.tamarac.org/1287 or call (954) 597-3642.
- As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel comfortable to reach me anytime.
- Please save the date of October 13, 2023, for an evening of fun and laughter at Colony West as we raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness. Stay tuned for more details!
Happy Raksha, Jamaican Independence Day, Trinidad and Tobago Independence Day, and Happy Birthday, Mom!
Got News in Tamarac, Lauderhill, or North Lauderdale? Send it to Tamarac Talk.