By Saraana Jamraj
Down three spots from the previous years, Tamarac has rounded out the bottom of the Top 50 Safest Cities in Florida—landing at number 49, between West Melbourne at #48 and Hialeah at #50.
The list, compiled by analyzing both the property and violent crimes in cities across America using FBI crime statistics and US Census population data, is released annually by SafeWise, a home security company.
This includes property crimes like auto-theft, home break-ins, and burglaries.
The cities that made the top 50, including Tamarac, report lower crime than the state and national averages.
In total, 142 cities that met the population threshold and submitted crime reports to the FBI were analyzed and ranked, leaving Tamarac in the lower portion of the top third.
The national violent crime rate is 3.7 violent crimes per 1,000 people. Florida’s rate is 3.8, and Tamarac’s rate has stayed below both but rose to 2.1 in 2019 and this year, rose again to 3.1.
According to the data, property crime rate dropped at a steep rate. Nationally, there are 22 incidents of property crime per 1,000 people, and 22.8 per 1,000 in Florida. In Tamarac, that rate was 23.4 in 2019. However, in 2020 it dropped to 18.6.
Several surrounding cities failed to make the top 50 including: Boca Raton #56, North Lauderdale #67, Sunrise #60, Oakland Park #105, Lauderhill at #111.
The number one city on the list was Marco Island.
Subscribe to Tamarac Talk
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. She's completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2020.08.06Tamarac Offers Upgrades for Qualifying Neighborhoods in Partnership Program
- News2020.08.06City Announces Limited Park, Fitness Center Hours in Tamarac
- News2020.08.06Quince Supermarket Opens in Tamarac with a Variety of International Products
- News2020.08.04Tamarac Launches Small Business Grants