By: Sharon Aron Baron
The city is seeking additional veterans to be added to their Honor Wall and are currently accepting applications.
The Veterans Honor Wall honors residents who have served in the military and includes veterans either living or deceased, current Tamarac residents, as well as those who have ever lived in the city.
Located at the corner of University Drive and Southgate Boulevard, Tamarac Veterans’ Park is home to the city’s annual Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies. The wall features the veteran’s name, rank, branch of service and years of service. Panels 1-10 of the wall have already been installed and feature the names of 1,000 Tamarac veterans.
The series of glass panels was created by artist Zachary Knudson of Coral Springs using tempered glass. The transparent panels encircle the park’s existing eternal flame sculpture, and is illuminated at night.
If you are interested in having a name displayed on the wall, a simple application must be submitted to the Tamarac Historical Society for review. In addition, proof of Tamarac residency and proof of honorable discharge from the military are required. Applications can be completed by residents or their survivors.
As an ongoing project, the city encourages the submittals of forms as soon as possible. Once enough names have been collected, they will be able to move forward with the addition of the next panel. As of press time, they have collected 52 of the 100 names for Panel 11. The deadline to reach 100 names for this panel and have it dedicated on Veterans Day is September 1, 2019.
Online applications are available Veterans Honor Wall or you may request an application form by mail or by calling 954-597-3621. In addition, you may visit the Parks and Recreation Administration Building located at 6001 Nob Hill Road, or the Tamarac Community Center located at 8601 W. Commercial Boulevard.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.09.14Broward County Schools Participates in ‘Dads Take Your Child to School Day’
- News2021.09.09Local Filmmaker Holds Screening of ‘I Wanna Be A Criminal’ in Tamarac
- News2021.09.07Broward County Public Schools Hiring Bus Drivers for 2021-22 School Year
- News2021.09.01Reserve Your Space at the Next City-Wide Garage Sale