By: Sharon Aron Baron
Residents may soon find relief at some major intersections in Tamarac after the City passes a new ordinance prohibiting right-of-way canvassers and street solicitors.
BSO Captain Neal Glassman, who oversaw the traffic study, listed four major corridors where dangerous conditions exists that could affect public safety and the free flow of traffic.
The City Commission, which first discussed an ordinance back in 2013, asked Glassman to perform the traffic study. Along with the comprehensive report, he stated on Monday that Commercial Boulevard, McNab Road, Pine Island Road and University Drive were the the most dangerous corridors.
City Attorney Sam Gorin whose firm drafted the ordinance said, “This ordinance is based on public safety. This is not a ban everywhere…it is locational in nature.“
Nor will this ban be discriminatory, which means that students who are fundraising for their sports teams will no longer be allowed on those corridors as well.
Glassman said that after the ordinance is passed (during the second reading in July), vendors and solicitors will first get warnings, then citations, however, doing so will take patrol cars off the streets.
“It is clearly so dangerous for the everyone, the driver, the pedestrian….it’s frightening,” said Vice Mayor Pam Bushnell.
Commissioner Gomez said that on last Saturday afternoon, there were teenagers selling M&M’s on University drive. “For the safety and the welfare of everyone, I’m glad this is going through.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Tamarac’s Semi-Annual City-Wide Garage Sale Returns Oct 7
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Grace and Kona Need Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County
- NewsSeptember 14, 2023Broward Gym-goers Go From From Cardio to Car-Theft
- NewsSeptember 13, 2023Furry Friends Buttons and Ginger Bear Need Forever Homes