By: Sharon Aron Baron
If you want to seal any kind of deal, just bring in German Shepherd “Bane” to give city commissioners wet kisses like his handler Deputy Felix Vasconez did on Monday. This was after a presentation by Broward Sheriff’s Office Captain Neal Glassman, who along with Lieutenant Dennis Addison, proposed a new K9 Training Facility lease agreement in Tamarac.
Currently leasing space with the City of Fort Lauderdale, this new 10-year lease in Tamarac would cost BSO zero dollars. The location is proposed on an empty field on City property near BSO’s offices – right behind an auto body business, and would operate Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The property, which is currently fenced, wouldn’t even use the entire area for the training, just a box within the field. According to Glassman, most of the dogs that would train at the facility, would be fully-trained already, and all of the handlers stay with their dogs.
“When we get a new dog into the fold, they would go through a 12-week training class,” said Glassman who said that would be from Monday through Friday for those dogs.
Glassman believes the facility is a win-win for the City. He said that it will bring more police car presence in the community, as each handler will be bringing their K9 for training, and it will allow for public demonstrations, along with visits from school groups.
Oh, and don’t expect this to be any type of K9 dog park either. Lt. Addison said that the alpha male dogs don’t mix well with one another. It will be strictly dog training business at this facility.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.07.22Register Now for the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.07.10Tamarac Commission Remains Undecided on Millage Rate after 6 Hour Budget Meeting
- News2021.07.09Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Hosts Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.06.30Public Meetings Held for Atlantic Blvd Interchange Improvements at the Sawgrass Expressway