By: Jen Russon
A writing program for seniors that once met at the Tamarac community center before the pandemic is still going strong once a week on Zoom.
Janice Indeck, the group facilitator, said anyone who’s penned something creative is welcome to join.
“Both beginners and experienced writers read pieces they’ve been working on,” said Indeck, adding she leads the same writing group, but for all ages, in Parkland.
Arlene Adelkop has been a writing group member for almost five years, and through fellow members’ encouragement, she was able to publish a book in 2018.
”Everyone has been friendly and helpful about my writing, especially our facilitator, Janice,” she said.
Since Adelkop’s success, several other group members have also published their work. These books run the gamut from fiction to poetry, micro-fiction — known as flash, and non-fiction.
Under Indecks’ guidance, both her groups have published several books of collective works, including another anthology by Tamarac writers, slated to come out later this year.
Before the Covid-19 restrictions, the Tamarac and Parkland groups met in person. Now, they meet on Zoom.
“Unfortunately, a few members didn’t feel comfortable enough with computers to join the Zoom meetings. Hopefully, they will return to the group when it finally meets in person again,” said Adelkopf.
Describing her writing peers as ‘people of the heart, member Jenna Cassell recommended the writing group to anyone with a story to tell.
“It is a perfect place to feel connected to people, she said.
The group is always looking for new members to share their passion for writing. For more information on joining the Tamarac or Parkland writing groups, email the group secretary, Barbara Behrens.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2021.08.22J.P. Taravella Drama Selling Spots for ‘Huge’ Garage Sale and Craft Show
- News2021.08.10The Maternity Place at Broward Health Coral Springs Voted South Florida’s Best by Regional Family Magazine
- News2021.08.03J.P. Taravella Drama Selling Spots for ‘Huge’ Garage Sale and Craft Show
- News2021.07.27Meet J.P. Taravella’s New Band Director at Dessert Event