By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Tamarac along with the Veterans Affairs Committee will unveil the “Wall of Honor” – a series of lighted panels that encircle the eternal flame sculpture at its Memorial Day Ceremony.
Wall of Honor
Created by glass artist Zachary Knudson, each glass wall, some with images, will be etched with the names, rank, military branch and years of service of Veterans.
Knudson’s most recent works include a 9-11 memorial for the city of Marathon Key and a piece at the Coral Springs ArtWalk, which consisted of a 13-foot tall infinity glass sculpture with powder-coated aluminum and LED lights. Based out of Coral Springs, Knudson said he was proud to be a part of something that honors those that served.
“To immortalize the names of these brave men and women into solid glass where everyone can see them is a very special opportunity, and for that I am grateful,” he said.
Captain Arnold J. Tolbert, Chair, Department of Aviation & Safety at Florida Memorial University will be the special speaker at this special annual event.
Captain Tolbert began his military service as an Air Force ROTC cadet at the University of South Carolina where he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force in 1975. His first duty assignment was at Whiteman AFB, MO where he served as a Deputy Combat Crew Commander and missile launch officer. His next duty assignment was Chief Disaster Preparedness at Spangdahlem AFB, Germany during which he was selected to attend undergraduate pilot training at Vance AFB, OK. As a pilot, he was stationed at Warner Robbins, AFB, GA where he flew the KC 135, and finally at Sheppard AFB, TX where he was a T37 instructor pilot.
He separated from the Air Force in 1987 and went on to complete a 21-year career with American Airlines. He has over 17,000 hours of flight time and holds a type rating in the Boeing 737 & 727; the Airbus 300-600; and the McDonald Douglas 11. He has been serving as the Chair of the Department of Aviation & Safety at Florida Memorial University since 2008.
The Memorial Day Service will be held Monday, May 30 at 10:30 a.m. Also at the ceremony, the award-winning JP Taravella High School band.
Come shake the hands of our heroes who served our country at Veterans Memorial Park located at 7825 Southgate Boulevard. Refreshments served afterward.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and Tamarac Talk, Coral Springs Talk, and Parkland Talk. Tamarac Talk was created in 2011 to provide News for the residents of Tamarac and is the #1 News Source for Residents.
- News2021.07.22Register Now for the Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.07.10Tamarac Commission Remains Undecided on Millage Rate after 6 Hour Budget Meeting
- News2021.07.09Tamarac North Lauderdale Chamber Hosts Twin Cup Golf Tournament
- News2021.06.30Public Meetings Held for Atlantic Blvd Interchange Improvements at the Sawgrass Expressway