By Selene Raj
A Tamarac resident just became more than a million dollars richer after purchasing a winning lottery ticket.
Ryan Fizzano, 21, bought the Florida Lotto Quick Pick ticket from Winn-Dixie, at 901 North Nob Hill Road in Plantation. The Florida Lottery announced on July 16 that Fizzano had claimed his share of the $4.25 million jackpot from the May 6 drawing.
Fizzano won $2.125 million but elected to receive a one-time, lump-sum payment of $1,792.420.10.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, measures have been taken to keep employees and players protected from the virus. The headquarters and district offices remained closed to the public. Instead, players with winning tickets were encouraged to utilize the Lottery’s secured drop box located at each district office or to mail tickets to the headquarters or office.
All deadlines have been extended—so, those who wish to claim their prizes in person can wait until offices are once again opened to the public.
Fizzano opted to use the secure drop box at the headquarters in Tallahassee.
He wasn’t the only local to win big—just one day later, Florida Lottery announced that Michael Nagel, 49, from Oakland Park, had collected a $1 million prize after purchasing a winning scratch-off ticket.
Nagel purchased his winning ticket from Sunoco, at 598 Northeast 44 Street, playing a $30 scratch-off game that launched in February opting for a one-time, lump-sum payment of $790,000.
The retailers who sold those winning tickets also receive bonuses from the Florida Lottery.
Got News? Send it to Tamarac Talk.
- Selene Raj is a writer and a Florida International University graduate. Born in Trinidad and raised in America, she completed her Master's in Mass Communications in 2020, and has been living in Coral Springs since 2004. She is passionate about the communities she lives and works in and loves reporting and sharing stories that are as complex and meaningful as the people who live in them.
- News2021.01.15Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Board Moves Closer to Final Approval
- News2021.01.06Rep Dan Daley Advocates for his District on 5 House Committees
- News2020.12.30Commissioner Bolton Expresses Remorse Over Calling City Attorney ‘Untrustworthy’
- News2020.12.23Broward County Moves Forward with Curfew in Anticipation of Holiday Covid-19 Spike